As I’m getting into photography a bit more, I’m finding things I wish I had but don’t currently have. So I’m making a list here:
- Tripod. Absolute necessity and I don’t have one.
- Lens hoods (but I can make my own with a printer and some flexible plastic or heavy paperboard).
- Protective bags or hard cases for my lenses (the Vivitar 75-205mm and Canon 135mm have their own already).
- Lens cleaning kit (I’ve been using eyeglass cloths).
- Spare lens caps (I’m -1 since the FD-EF adaptor only came with one and needs two – it’s been living attached to either of the primes lately for that reason).
- A good macro lens (my zooms work okay but are still > 1 foot minimum focal distance, in fact the Vivitar’s minimum focal distance is 6ft at 200mm!). The Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro is a great value at ~$300 and would be great. A step up would be the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM (and a 60mm short back focus lens would be superb for walking around the zoo or State Fair).
- Spare SDHC memory cards.