This summer, we’re hoping to run a Dungeons & Dragons campaign. I believe everyone who is meant to be invited has received notice by this point. This post is intended to be a resource regarding the details of the campaign, and will be updated periodically to reflect new information.
The campaign is The Red Hand of Doom, from Wizards of the Coast. I include this for your general enlightenment, but encourage everyone to avoid looking it up, lest you gain all the spoilers (and make us sad). Dan will be DMing this.
Important Note: This campaign is currently intended to be set in Eberron. Eberron has some variations in rules and has additional races, as well as a different pantheon. If you do not have access to an Eberron setting guide, let me know and I’ll get you hooked up with a copy.
For character creation, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
- Eberron is the setting (see Important Note above).
- The edition is Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.
- Characters are to begin at Level 5. This means:
- 10,000 XP. Next Level is at 15,000 XP;
- 9,000 gold pieces with which to purchase starting equipment. Consider this a hard number.
- All standard races from the D&D 3.5 Player’s Handbook are legitimate choices, as are the main races from the Eberron Campaign Setting (i.e., Changeling, Kalashtar, Shifter, Warforged).
- Additionally, lest you delve further into the Eberron set (Other Races), the following are excluded specifically:
- Goblinoids of any kind
- Aerenal Elves
- Anything else not listed (without DM approval)
- Any Class from official Wizards books should be acceptable. If you are unsure, get in touch with Dan yourself, or contact somone who knows how to reach him.
- DO NOT take an Evil alignment. Good and Neutral (and all variations thereof) are acceptable.
- DO NOT (because of the intended campaign) take any Dragon-oriented or -related classes or major feats (or generally be a dragon-worshipping sort).
- On the topic of Ability (STR, DEX, etc.) generation, the accepted method is much like Method #4 (p.169, Dungeon Master’s Guide), with a minor adjustment. To quote the DM:
Say you roll 2 3 4 5, you don’t reroll. If you roll 1 2 3 4—no reroll. 1 1 2 3, though, you reroll one of the 1’s. 1 1 1 2, you’d reroll two of the 1’s. And you only reroll once, if you get a 1 again your stuck with it.
You may note here, that specifically you are allowed to reroll the 1’s that would count into your Ability score, and you are allowed to do this for every Ability score, not just one of them. If you find this too complicated, you are of course free to generate using the standard rules found on page 7 of the Player’s Handbook.
For reference, the characters being preliminarily constructed (subject to extensive changes) are:
- Bjorn: Warforged – Combat Cleric – ([Neutral/Lawful]? Good)
- Chad: Human or Dwarf – Knight or similar – (Lawful [Neutral/Good]?)
- Christa: Shifter? – Scout? – (Unknown Alignment)
- Josh: Human? – Support Mage of some variety – (Unknown Alignment)
- Mackenzie: Elf – Wizard – (Chaotic Neutral)
- Bob: Unknown Race – Unknown Class – (Unknown Alignment)
If you have any questions/thoughts/etc., this is the place to publicly express them. If you have information to share (e.g., updating your current character plans), please post it here. This post, as I noted above, will be updated as new information—such as times, dates, and locations of games—becomes available.