I registered for Anthrocon. It cost me $45. I’ve cancelled my registration.
I realized after talking with my shrink (who isn’t unfamiliar with furries), that although I share the interest in cartoon animals, I’m not likely to feel comfortable among a throng of furries. The interesting part is that the denizens of #xkcdfurs agreed with my shrink’s assessement. Here’s the deal:
- I’m a heterosexual male (most male furs are at least bi – I was afraid that I might be a latent homosexual but the shrink laughed and brought out the charts again – I’m most clearly a heterosexual (if kinaesthetic) male).
- I’m easily put off by oddly-applied gender titles (Example: Introducing a male as someone’s “wife.”)
- I’m not entirely comfortable being in close proximity (furpile) to people of indeterminate gender (if you can’t make up your mind what gender you are, then how do you expect others to take you seriously?).
- I’m not cool with the idea of open relationships.
- I don’t follow the idea of pansexuality.
- I, unlike many furs, have no trouble separating myself from my character, even during RP.
To be honest, I think I’d lose my patience the first time someone insisted that they were, in fact, a platypus trapped in a human body. I may have an anthro fetish (which I do), and I may have a fascination with comic characters and cartoons (which I do), but I don’t have difficulty separating fantasy from reality.
So although I’m still functionally a furry (I do meet the definition of one), I find I actually don’t identify with the community very much. So for now, I’m going to forgo the cons. 🙂
All that said, if I were gay, Jyrras would probably be hot. 😛 As it is, he’s just cute in the same way a kitten is cute. Not in the same way Minerva Mink in blue jeans is cute. Minerva in blue jeans gives me the shivers and produces a noticeable response (heh). Jyrras just looks kinda snuggly. The shrink said that this was because I’m kinaesthetic and my main answer to other people’s problems is to hug them until the pain goes away. And I’m furry so I squee over anything with fuzz and big eyes. 😛