It’s All Over

Update 5: And it’s all over. Gramps left the hospice at 3; half an hour later he got a phone call.

I’ve been kind of sporadically giving updates about gramma on here for some time, and since my visit to campus got cut short on Tuesday (I really intended to stay until 12:30), I figured that I’d do another update.

On the 29th of October my gramps took her in to see a doctor because he thought that she had “blood poisoning”; I guess it looked like petechiae or purpura. My uncle and I were sitting around waiting for her to be released so we could help get her home. About an hour after her appointment we got a call from gramps saying that she had to go to the ER. When she went in, they did all the routine blood work and eventually figured out that she has bursitis and cellulitis. The only course of treatment was the lance out the infected tissue since her body can’t fight it. That never came, all the did is drain it and noticed that her, I’m not sure what they’re called, but the numbers that show how well an organ is working or not working, were going up since she was admitted to the hospital. On this past Monday, they told my gramps that he had a couple options; he could put her into a 24/7 hospice or have an at home hospice. My mom and uncle chose that the 24/7 one was the better choice, so on Thursday she was transferred there at about 2:30, despite there being a waiting list.

Today I went to the hospice, and I was talking to gramps and he made mention of how yesterday the social worker said that, based on her breathing and having “every organ except her heart and lung fail”, she’s going to be gone in a matter of a couple days. So, today was a ton of running around, getting funeral arrangements in place, and she’s still headstone-less, but besides that and one other thing, everything else is done. We have to go to the cemetery…again…for the headstone, and we have to look at pictures for the memorial video thing at the funeral home for the wake.

Update: We just got summoned down there.

Update 2: I was there from about 8:30 until 12:30 and 6:30 until 8:30. One of the nurses said, at about 8 AM, that she only had about 2 or 3 hours left; another nurse and a doctor later on said that she had maybe a couple days. They’d be able to tell when her skin started feeling cool and had some discoloration going on. She got her last rights from her parish priest (after prodding from 3 different people) and a chaplain was around more or less the entire time we were for the first visit. We have everything all planned out for the funeral and wake now; the music, the video, the pictures and the services.

Update 3: She, yesterday, started showing signs of mottled skin, so today there was a meeting with my gramps in which he was told that she’s more or less shutting down. They said that everything except her heart and lung aren’t functioning, so her heart is pumping more than normal.

Update 4: Continual morphine drip. As much as gramps likes to bitch that he could do everything they can…he can’t legally give her that.

  1. #1 by Joshua on November 7, 2010 - 7:18 AM

    Well, as horrible as it seems to say, I hope she passes quickly. She’ll be in less discomfort and the family will be relieved when it’s over. Even so, I hope for the best for Phil’s family.

    • #2 by Phillip on November 7, 2010 - 9:39 PM

      Right now it’s just kind of this waiting game. And I know right now I want it all to be over but I also know that when it is I’ll be one of them bawling my eyes out. I know all my family wants to see a quick and peaceful passing. But, the good news is that she’s comfortable.

      And, thanks. I truly mean that.

  2. #3 by Chadwick on November 17, 2010 - 6:58 AM

    My deepest sympathies go to you and your family, Phil. I had a hard time dealing with the losses of my grandparents, and I hardly knew them. To lose someone who’s actually been a part of your life is something I can only imagine in how it’ll impact you.

    But we’re here for you. Hell, I’d even leave my house for you, as much as that would terrify me. Maybe just once, but still.

    • #4 by Phillip on November 17, 2010 - 10:22 PM

      lol..I’ll be honest, I have no idea what the hell I’m doing past tomorrow and Friday.

      Thanks though.

  3. #5 by Joshua on November 17, 2010 - 7:28 AM

    If the Phil’s family is in need of anything, I will do my best to provide it.

    • #6 by Phillip on November 17, 2010 - 10:18 PM

      Thanks. I think we’re good on most fronts, but I’ll remember this.

  4. #7 by Christa on November 17, 2010 - 6:20 PM

    I know how hard this can be, I’m sure you already know this, but you can call if you ever need to talk.

    • #8 by Phillip on November 17, 2010 - 10:14 PM


      Luckily I’ve been busy doing stuff all day with nary a minute of rest, but I think everything’ll hit over the next couple days.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s