A few days ago, I did the smart thing and bonded the two Ethernet interfaces in dustpuppy:
green [imbrius@dustpuppy ~]$ /sbin/ifconfig bond0 bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:54:0B:3E:65 inet addr:192.168.0.118 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MASTER MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:3370594 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:1 frame:0 TX packets:3215598 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:1820836866 (1.6 GiB) TX bytes:2214959827 (2.0 GiB)
It’s in bonding mode 2 which does both RX and TX in a round-robin style and allows for increased bandwidth (~1.5x) and full 1x redundancy. The redundancy is made more valid by the fact that the 3Com NIC is wired directly into vertical cabling (bad form, I know) to the backbone switch, while the nVidia NIC is connected to the local switch.
Today, I kicked the local switch under the desk and knocked the power cable out of it. I didn’t realize it until I saw no green blinkenlights under the desk. The bonding driver is working quite well, apparently.