I was at Stone Creek yesterday and I was very drowsy. So I decided to order something I rarely order: A cup of black coffee with two shots of espresso floated on top.
The nice pregnant barista lady told me that it was called a “double overdrive.” Cute. I got to thinking of all the names that different coffee shops give to the drink made by floating a single shot of espresso atop a mug of black coffee:
- Alterra calls it a Red Eye
- Two shots is called a Black Eye
- Stone Creek calls it an Overdrive
- Bigbucks calls it a Shot in the Dark
- Sonic calls it a Sonic Boom (also cute)
- McDonalds will make one if asked but it isn’t on the menu
- Don’t ask, though. McDonalds espresso could be easily mistaken for what’s left on the bottom of a pot that’s been accidentally boiled dry.
- Dunkin’ Donuts calls it a Turbo
Am I missing any? Next time you go to a coffee shop, look or ask what they call a shot of espresso atop a cup of coffee and let me know.